- Hill Top, as its name suggests, is located atop the hill in Vagator and strategically located a distance away from residential neighbourhoods. Deserted by day, this open-air venue transforms to Goa's most prime party destination on some evenings and a flea market on Friday afternoons.
- With its neon palm grove of glow-in-dark coconut trees, psychedelic art of luminous designs depicting mandalas, aliens to dieties, and its vast open playground for Goa's diverse party goers, Hill Top is Goa's most revered fixture of its still prevalent trance scene. The weekly Sunday parties (despite the strictly enforced 10pm curfew), and Christmas and New Year marathon draw crowds from across the globe, to share what remains of Goa’s subversive culture.
- Apart from its wild, irreverent vibe, the organization at Hill Top is meticulous- with printed tickets, garbage collectors, kiosks for drinks and food, and artists flown in from across the world, often featuring some the industry's finest. The admission is fair, the drinks are cheap, the vendors sell everything you need and the atmosphere is supremely laid-back, a throwback to another more idyllic era.
PARTIES, CONCERTS, EVENTS
- TECHNO IN THE GARDEN, EVERY FRIDAY (4pm to 10pm): A new weekly soiree hosted in the more intimate front garden of Hill Top, featuring Goa's visiting and resident DJs playing cutting edge Techno, Minimal and Tech House, a slight departure from Hill Top's signature trance gatherings and perhaps, a sign of the changing times.
- SUNDAY EVENINGS (5pm to 10pm): A weekly gathering of trance lovers from all walks of life and corners of the globe. Families with children mingle with bikers, old-school hippies and visiting tourists. As the sun sets, the trance decibels rise, only to wind-up completely by 10pm. During the peak of the season, the Sunday parties at Hill Top can draw quite a crowd. Most recent line-ups have included household names such as DJ Tristan, Infected Mushroom, Goa Gil, Psymmetrix, Raja Ram (he godfather of trance), Ajja and Lost & Found.
- XMAS & NEW YEAR'S: The festive season brings two of Goa's most talked about parties, and the last of remaining outdoor raves: Xmas Eve and NewYear's Eve at Hill Top. Special permissions are organized and extra hands are hired to ensure these events can rage for more than 24 hours, without a hitch. The global crowd number in the thousands and the line-up is impressive.
- SPECIAL CONCERTS: Outside of psychedelia, Hill Top additionally organizes special concerts and events. Recent acts have included Prem Joshua, Highlight Tribe, Jungle of Peace Tour (Reggae) - Mungo's Hi Fi feat. Soom T.
- Hill Top is a family run business that started in 1976by Steve D'souza. Steve continues to oversee Hill Top’s management along with his DJ son, Starling. In its original avatar, Hill Top was a small restaurant furnished with a few benches. Through the years, Hilltop has served as a platform to the world's biggest trance artists as well as fresh budding talents, playing a key formative role in the development of trance music and Goa nightlife culture in general.
- Despite the changing times, stringent noise pollution and licensing laws and Goa's evolving tourism landscape, Hill Top still remains the global mecca for Goa psychedelic trance.
- Hilltop Records, an initiative by DJ Sarling, released its first venture by Dj Starling "HILLTOP CHRONICLES vol. 1" in March 2011, showcasing a selection of music and artists who have performed at Hilltop over the years.
- This debut compilation consolidated by Dj Starling, features a diverse selection of artists including Orca, Panayota, Dust, Mole, Phatmatix, Samadhi, Arjuna, Flipknot and GIdra. A guaranteed dancefloor slammer for all those true Trance Lovers...
HILLTOP 30TH ANNIVERSARY: A WUG NEWSLETTER
(23rd January 2013)
FROM THE ARCHIVES..
CELEBRATING 30 YEARS OF HILL TOP: THE PARTY
- 3pm onwards - Free Entry
- On the 23rd January 2013, Hill Top will celebrate an impressive 30 years of unforgettable parties in Goa. To aptly commemorate its years of existence and unyielding commitment to Trance and party, Hill Top is hosting an Anniversary Party that will feature some of the top international DJs, and is inviting you to join in the fun for what promises to be the party of the season. Entrance is free!
- LINE UP
- - SONIC SPECIES FACEBOOK / MYSPACE
- - ARJUNA. FACEBOOK /MYSPACE
- - EARTHLING FACEBOOK / MYSPACE
- - NIGEL (Shiva Valley Rec)
- - STARLING (Hilltop Rec) FACEBOOK /MYSPACE / SOUNDCLOUD
- - XP (Goa Freaks Com). FACEBOOK / XP VOODOO
- - 1 EYED . FACEBOOK / SOUNDCLOUD
VIEW THE COMPLETE NEWSLETTER IN YOUR BROWSER. CLICK>>