- Its idyllic location in the charming village of Mandrem, overlooking a tidal lake by the banks of the Ashvem River and the shores of the Arabian sea, provides the perfect setting for this unique destination; a place where unpretentious luxury meets nature in harmony and where laid back atmosphere and serenity are a priority.
- All rooms overlook the tidal lake, on the banks of which the Mandala property sits. The lake acts as a "nature cinema", drawing over a hundred species of wildlife.
- "A typical morning experience would be waking up to the gentle call of a kingfisher enjoying its morning catch of tasty shrimps or the swooping of sea eagles above the mirror like lake as they take a break from the ocean in the gently swaying palm trees."
THE MANDALA HOUSE
- Spacious Double Rooms: The Mandala House is adorned entirely in an original hand-painted mural created by Danish artist, Ulrik Schiodt, depicting a theme celebrating an integration with nature. This fantastical three-storey house offers a range of double rooms for guest accommodations, where each room is uniquely designed, with en-suite baths, split air-con and large private balconies. The rooms offer unsurpassed views of lush tropical landscape; one overlooking the tidal lake, the other of the impressive Ganesha statue presiding over The Mandala property.
THE NOMADIC CHALETS
- The Mandala offers 5 double-storey accommodations that are inspired in design by the Kerela houseboat and Balinese bungalows, all offering direct views of the tidal lake. The hybrid homes have been hand crafted and carved by talented artists, with a vision of creating luxurious space without greatly impacting the environment. Each " houseboat" houses a master bedroom on the first floor that leads to a spacious sundeck balcony overlooking the tropical lake. The bathrooms and living room (that may be converted to an additional bedroom) occupy the ground floor from which sliding doors open onto a private patio.
- THE YANTRA TENTS
- For the more budget traveller, The Mandala additionally tented accommodations that occupy a charming garden camp. The Maharaja designer tents are spacious and furnished in hand-crafted wooden furniture with supremely comfortable beds. The camp offers newly constructed, shared bathrooms.
- The Mandala restaurant serves sea food, vegetarian and vegan dishes with fresh, seasonal, local produce being the central focus. They also offer a health juice bar serving a wide variety of fresh and healthy concoctions to provide guests the boost they need to enhance perceptions of life, the universe and everything !
MASSAGE @ THE MANDALA
- The Mandala offers rejuvenating Ayurvedic massages in the privacy of their tranquil massage room. The in-house masseur offers a range of traditional treatments, from Abhyanga to Ayurvedica Keralan Massage – and extremely specialised treatments such as Nasyam (nasal cleansing) and Karna Poornama (Ear cleansing).
- The Mandala additionally works with independent specialists offering Thai Massage, Gong Healing and Acupuncture Healing.
- Please The Mandala to book your massage in advance to ensure availability.
THE YOGA CLASSES
- Drop inClass : Rs.400. Packages available for long-timers
- Monday to Saturday : 830 am to 10 am & 5 to 630 pm ( Sundays off)
- Call to confirm: +91 9049274493)
KAYAK, BIRD WATCHING & NATURE
SUNSET BACKWATER PICNICS
- “A romantically unique fun evening combining the serenity of the Asvem river, the sunset over the Arabian sea, aperitifs and a delicious dinner in magical surroundings”
- Guests paddle themselves in a variety of boats from The Mandala to the mouth of the river. There, an entrée picnic is served along with a complimentary punch. Kayaks can be used for surfing the evening waves on the beach for those who wish or simply enjoy the sunset. Guests are then led, by paddle, back up the river to The Mandala, where they may take a shower and enjoy delicious dinner at The Garden restaurant.
- Maximum up to 12 people
- Rs.3000 per person | starts 430 pm.
- Kayak Dolphin Trips: The perfect way to see the dolphins on the ocean at dawn, and a mere paddle away from The Mandala down the lazy backwaters...The trips are arranged in the mornings; a perfect way to start the day.
- Dolphin Trips Rs. 700 per person | 630 am to 9 am
- NATURE & BIRD WATCH
- Ideally situated on a bank of a tidal lake, guests of The Mandala may enjoy bird watching from the comforts of their own private balcony! The lake, revered by Hindus as the realm of Vishnu, was used as a shrimp fishing pond during the Portuguese era and is now a natural haven for over 50 species of wildlife including an overwhelming variety of kingfishers. The birdlife has comfortably integrated with the Mandala and it is not unusual to come within a few metres of them, especially in the early mornings.
Through his years of travel, however, the one thing Angus had very little experience of was having a home, particularly one in which he could focus on the many creative projects and ideas that had been building up over time. In 2007, Angus was presented with an ideal opportunity to create a space; a space that would later become the Mandala. Together with his friend, Ulrik Schiodt, a gifted mural artist from Denmark, they dedicated three challenging and rewarding years solely to the creation of the Mandala. Their vision was to create a place where the energy of artistic expression could synergize with atmospheric hospitality; where nature could be celebrated through design and where luxury could meet nature in harmony. Angus has begun work on a book (“the making of…”) that chronicles his personal journey and the creation of the Mandala, “a journey of friendship, art and spirit”.