The word Calangute is said to be derived from the Konkani word- 'Koli-gutti', which means land of fishermen. Others have ascribed it to the vernacular word “Kalyangutti” (village of art) or “Konvallo-ghott “ (strong pit of the coconut tree). Once a peaceful fishing village and a mainstay for the hippies in the 60s, Calangute beach is now easily the most popular tourist destination in Goa. This highly commercialised beach attracts swarms of tourists from across the globe, boasting a myriad of options for hotels, restaurants, boutiques, spas, excursions, water-sports and bars to match every budget.
EAT & DRINK
- A REVERIE, Holiday Street: A short walk from the busy beach is the revered (and one of our favourites) A Reverie, which has recently listed by Lonely Planet as one of the" top 10 things to do in Goa" (the only establishment that has received this accolade!). See their WUG Page.
- I-95 (A Gauravado, Behind The Art Chamber, Castello Vermelho): A short drive form the beach & set in the enchanting garden of a restored Indo-Portuguese house, another restaurant that you shouldn't miss.
- SUBLIME (Saligao): A 15 minute drive from Calangute beach is one of Goa's most exciting restaurants serving food that fuses formal European fare with inspirations from across Asia and Goa! See their WUG Page!
- Sit back and relax at one of Calangute's laid-back pubs. We recommend:
- - PETE'S BAR, on Calangute beach: Open till 10pm, this lively bar offers cheap drinks, backgammon boards and plenty of reggae.
- - BOB'S INN, b/w Calangute & Candolim beaches: Another perennial favourite, also open till 10pm and offering affordable drinks.
- 10 CALANGUTE, Calangute: Located on the main Calangute- Fort Aguada Road, is this 3 star, 10 room Boutique hotel, where each room is individually styled and named after its own Goan beach!
- PRESA DI GOA (Saligao): if you prefer a respite from the bustling Calangute streets and beaches, then this charming hotel is your perfect choice. Transformed from a beautifully restored Portuguese mansion with a fab a swimming pool and free transfers to Calangute Beach, Presa di Goa is our pick of the top place to stay in the area. See their WUG page.
SEE & DO
- KERKAR ART GALLERY: Located close to the beach is this gallery, which exhibits paintings and sculptures of talented, upcoming Goan artists. The gallery additionally hosts a weekly Indian cultural event. See their website.
- SNIPS SALON & SPA: Stop by for some well deserved pampering at Calangute's hottest spa.
- SHOP @ some of Calangute's hottest boutiques, including:
- - Malini Ramani: Indian Designer label..see her WUG Page
- - Bebel : European designer jewellery..see their WUG page